Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Alpine, AZ







After a long days travel across the Chihuahuan Desert I began the ascent into the mountains of the Gila National Forest. I camped at a campground just north of Alpine, AZ. I got pretty cold overnight and have pretty much abandoned the idea of camping again. Between the shivering cold and the concern for bears, I didn't sleep well here.

I had brought a spare one gallon gas can with me in case I found myself too far between gas stops. Having decided that this was an unnecessary extra bulk item, I abandoned it on a picnic table. Someone will enjoy a brand new $10 gas can. Even though I over-packed, and carried many useless items, I still found myself in need of certain things. Like a battery charger for my camera. I'm about to run out of battery.
I ate dinner at the Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine, and the food wasn't bad at all. The owner at one point, announced to the customers that: "The music you are hearing is none other than your very own waitress!", and proceeded to crank up a series of recordings that apparently the waitress had sung during some drunken karaoke night. I couldn't tell if he was proud of her or was trying to embarass her, but it was pretty awful. She seemed nice, but she can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home